Consumers are in need of vehicles with larger interiors and more versatility than standard sedans provide. Auto manufacturers have answered the trend with the introduction of a new crossover class. Some of the best crossovers for the 2016 model year come with the bells and whistles that top sedan trims offer as well as utility features with functionality. Some examples include tie downs and cargo shades that provide safety and privacy.
While other categories including performance, safety, and exteriors are important, interiors are the space where you spend your time. Designs cater to this aspect with convenient and comfortable amenities.
Several make and model choices are available for buyers in the market for a crossover with more cargo space. Brands such as Mercedes-Benz, Cadillac, and Infiniti have added their luxury stamp with features to match. Here is a look at the top crossover interiors for 2016 from these three popular brands.
Buyers can choose from three trims with a GLA250, GLA250 4MATIC, and AMG GLA45. This brand knows how to set the premium standard bar high with exceptional materials that meld elegance into luxury.
Owners receive standard treats with a three spoke multi-function steering column with auto tilt-away and anthracite trim detailing supple leather. Seating for five offer drivers’ memory settings with 14 options and lumbar support comes with four positions. Options deliver ambient lighting in multiple colors, 14 positions memory seating for passengers, and 80GB hard-drive with an eight inch display. Accents are in Burl Walnut or Satin Brown Poplar wood inlay.
Front-folding passenger seats are utility features with views through a panoramic sunroof. Rear seats recline and have a 60/40 split with a pass-through to main cargo areas when passengers are on-board. Nearly 45 cubic feet of space is available with rear seats folded flat.
- This brand has more than one model for this crossover. Mercedes-Benz engineered a litany of standard features in the GLA250 with more in the other two trims including Garmin MAP Pilot and KEYLESS-GO.
- Additional optional features are the exclusive mbrace service with a Concierge, Entertain, or combo.
- Three packages called Premium, Interior, and Multimedia provide more interior goodies.
- Rear windows could be larger to enhance visibility.
- Cargo space is a bit tight even with rear seats folded.
- Prices jump nearly $20,000 more from the GLA250 to the GLA45.
Luxury features do not come cheap with MSRPs starting at $32,500 for the base and most features, $34,500 for the 4MATIC with upgraded infotainment system and technology, and the fully-loaded GLA45 is $49,580.
Mercedes-Benz has lease and purchase special offers for the GLA series. The lease is for 36 months with $3600 due at signing, while financing is 2.99 percent over a 24 to 72 month term.
Cadillac is known for setting trends and standards for luxury sedans and coupes. They entered the race to capture crossover market share in 2004 with their only model the SRX. Currently, it has a standard and luxury trim.
With this brand, luxury features are to be expected, including standard leather seating for five with leather door inserts and real wood consoles. Lumbar support with memory settings and innovative alert safety features is standard for driver seats. LPO air filters are complemented by dual zone climate controls. Cadillac CUE comes standard to control audio and technology features.
Utility features in the SRX include a glove box with chill functionality for drinks and medications. Expect the 60/40 split with more than 60 cubic feet complementing Cargo Management Systems. It offers a U-rail and built-in cargo fence for a variety of luggage. Additional storage is designed under rear floors with hooks to hang grocery bags.
- Climate control options include a third zone for rear seats.
- Luxury features continue with a seating memory package for two separate drivers.
- Front seats also come with ventilation and heat features.
- MSRPs are affordable with standard models starting at $37,600.
- Only one make and model is available for this brand.
- Interior cup holders need a re-design for better access.
- CUE is a complex system that requires a tutorial before use.
The base is affordable at less than $40,000 with FWD. It also has fewer standard features than its luxury trim counterpart. Two luxury trims come fully loaded with a $43,640 FWD or $46,135 AWD version.
SRX has three special offers for buyers to take advantage of. There are two generous cash back offers with $750 for any lease and $1,500 for purchases. A lease is available for $349 over 27 months after a $4,850 signing fee. Purchases have a 1.9 percent APR for a 60 month period.
This is the first installment in the crossover roster for Infiniti. It comes with the most standard features of all the vehicles being discussed. Four upgrade packages are also laden with detailed creature comforts for owners.
Luxury features such as a standard seven inch information display and optional navigation system with lane guidance and 3D building are unmatched by the competition. Illuminated audio controls on steering wheels and speed sensitive sensors that control volume are both standard and unparalleled details.
Infiniti pampers owners with versatile utility features like a power moon roof, clothes hangers on head rests, and overhead storage for sunglasses. Larger storage features have 60/40 folding seat-backs with cargo nets and tie-anchors. Another exclusive feature offers power second row seats with power-up functionality.
- The level of elegance and convenience is profound with a litany of utility features and details such as cabin air filters, auto locking doors, and a cabin illumination system.
- Rear seats do not recline.
- Rear floors have limited foot room due to a large center hump.
- There could be more connectivity features including on-board Wi-Fi.
Pricing for this make and model are an incredible value with the base MSRP of $34,450 with FWD, while the base with AWD is $35,850. The FWD base has standard climate, audio, connectivity, and technology features with the AWD base upgrading each category. Examples include eight way passenger seats in comparison to four way or entry and exit assist for drivers and steering wheels.
Two lease special offers come with the Premium Package for both FWD and AWD. Monthly prices are $319 with a $3,000 or $4,000 signing payment respectively. Buyers can purchase this standout with a 1.9 percent APR over a 60 month period.
Consumers in the market for this class will find these three make and model impressive choices. They easily fit in the category of top crossover interiors for 2016.